Plan International Canada’s advocacy efforts seek to influence policy decisions that have a direct impact on achieving gender equality, women’s and girls’ rights and the rights and well-being of all children and young people. One of the most powerful ways to achieve this is in partnership with organizations seeking the same end results.
Plan International Canada is proud to be a member of the following coalitions and working groups.
Advocacy success in Canada
Six adolescent girl leaders from Canada, Jamaica, Lebanon, Benin, Mali, and South Africa met with Canadian Minister of International Development Bibeau and her counterparts at the Minister’s meeting in Whistler in 2018, as part of the Canadian G7 presidency.
As a strong partner to the Government of Canada, Plan International Canada is proud to have participated in, and often led, advocacy efforts that resulted in:
- The Whistler Declaration on Unlocking the Power of Adolescent Girls for Sustainable Development and the Whistler Declaration on Gender equality announced during Canada’s G7 presidency of 2018.
- The Charlevoix Declaration on Quality Education for Girls, Adolescent Girls and Women in Developing Countries resulting in education being elevated on the global agenda and $2.9 Billion (US) committed to reach 8.7 million children.
- The Thrive advocacy agenda, which resulted in the Government of Canada committing $1.4 billion in funding for women’s, children’s and adolescent’s health globally in 2019, including for neglected areas of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- The creation of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy, including its inclusion of girls and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Canada’s first Federal Strategy to Eliminate Gender-Based Violence.
- The creation of the International Day of the Girl Child.
- G8 Muskoka Initiative on Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, with $1 billion in new Canadian funding for the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), $7.5 billion committed globally.
Join our mailing list to receive updates
By signing up you agree to receive our emails.