5 ways to end poverty around the world
Educating children is one of the most effective ways to fight poverty
As part of the sustainable development goals adopted in September 2015, the United Nations is challenging global leaders to help end poverty in all its forms, everywhere, by 2030.
Although this will be no easy feat, the UN believes – and Plan International agrees – that we can achieve it if we work together.
Through collaboration among countries the world over, we can end the cycle of poverty and begin a cycle of progress.
Here are 5 things Plan believes are critical in the fight to end poverty around the world.
5 tools to end poverty
Poverty is passed from one generation to the next. Through our work, Plan International gives children, families and communities the tools they need to break the cycle of poverty. These tools include:
Youth in Timor-Leste receive vocational training skills to start their own business.
- Quality education provides children with the knowledge and life skills they need to realize their full potential, and is essential to creating change in a child’s life. Plan International helps by training teachers, building new schools and breaking down barriers that prevent many children – and girls in particular – from attending school.
- Access to health care is essential. Plan International helps communities build health clinics, train health care workers and invest in equipment and medicine, so children can grow up healthy and strong.
- Water and sanitation are also essential for every child’s survival. Each year, Plan helps communities build school latrines, community water points and helps to establish organizations to ensure the continued management and maintenance of water points.
- Economic security: Plan works to overcome poverty by helping communities around the world gain the economic security they need to thrive. Plan International is training people living in poverty to acquire the skills and knowledge they need to secure a livelihood, and support their families.
- Child participation: Plan helps children learn their rights and take active roles within their community. Child participation helps children engage in citizenship, express their views and make decisions that will shape their future and influence the people around them.
How YOU can help
Breaking the cycle of poverty begins when you invest in children. Plan to change the world and sponsor a child today or give a one time donation to support child-centred projects in an area of greatest need.