Want to join the YAC? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Must be 15 to 21 years old at the time of application
- Previous involvement with Plan International Canada, other international development organizations, or other charities / local community programs
- Demonstrated interest in at least one area of Plan’s departmental work (i.e. fundraising, finance, community engagement, marketing, brand, etc.)
- Experience and interest in program development and management, international development, advocacy, and especially governance
- Excellent time management skills
- Resides in Canada
- Available to participate in the YAC annual orientation in Toronto being held August 18 to 21, 2016. Note: Plan International Canada will cover any travel and accommodation costs within Canada deemed necessary to attend the orientation.
Required commitment of each YAC member:
The purpose of the Youth Advisory Council is to provide young people in Canada with an opportunity to participate in decision making at Plan International Canada. The YAC will be active members in promoting youth participation at a governing level for the organization. For this reason, all members must have demonstrated experience in a governing position (i.e. student council, student parliament). The expectation for members of the YAC is a minimum three year commitment. Members are divided into working groups to address specific challenges identified by Plan International Canada and are responsible for recommending solutions. To reach the YAC’s goals, all members must commit to one monthly meeting and one quarterly meeting with Plan International Canada staff members (in person/via Google Hangouts). All members of the YAC must commit to submitting one e-mail update bi-weekly to the Chair to help support communication and transparency within the Council.
The YAC is connected to the Global Youth Advisory Panel, Plan International’s youth governing body. The YAC will contribute not only to Plan International Canada’s goals but will also correlate with young people on Youth Advisory Councils across Plan International’s network.
Applications for the 2016/17 Youth Advisory Council are now closed. Interview invitations will be extended via email the first week of June and interviews will take place late-June 2016. Individuals invited to join the YAC must be available to attend our three-day orientation event being held August 18 to 21, 2016.
If you have any questions please reach out to Michelle DeJardine, Plan International Canada's YAC Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in joining Plan International Canada’s Youth Advisory Council!