3 reasons why your support is so important:
- 53% of people do not have sanitation facilities, putting children at risk of waterborne diseases.
- The lack of food means 45% of children under the age of 5 are underweight – the highest rate in the world.
- Timor-Leste is prone to flooding and landslides which can wreck homes and prevent children from going to school.
How your support is helping Timor-Leste:
- Providing opportunities for children to attend preschools, while strengthening existing schools by providing training teachers and supplying school materials.
- Improving community understanding of safe learning environments, and decreasing the incidence of violence in school through training in positive discipline and advocacy.
- Provide water and sanitation facilities to primary schools, and increasing access to safe drinking water and proper latrines in communities.
- Boosting the skills of youth by providing access to technical skills training in line with the needs of the communities, and supporting youth livelihood groups and vocational training for young people.
- Involving children in policy development, and the discussion and promotion of child protection across the country, while building awareness amongst parents and civil society.
- Developing school risk mapping and disaster preparedness plans to ensure children, families, schools and communities are equipped with awareness when disaster strikes.
|People living in poverty
|Mortality of children under 5
||55 deaths /1000 births
||5 deaths /1000 births
(World Bank, CIA World Factbook, World Health Organization)
Common phrases in Portuguese
|How are you?
||Como é que tu estas?