A bittersweet goodbye in Pakistan as Plan leaves a community
In Chakwal, Pakistan, 100,000 scholarships were provided to children at varying education levels.
We’re often asked how child sponsorship works, or how it actually benefits children, their families and their communities. Well, here’s a great example.
Over the next two years, Plan will be phasing out of the community of Chakwal, Pakistan because they no longer require Plan’s support.
This means Chakwal is on its way to being self-sufficient. Through education, clean water initiatives, improved health care, microfinance opportunities and gender equality, the people of Chakwal have developed the tools they need to make lasting changes in their community.
How it all happened in Chakwal
Thanks to child sponsors like you, approximately 10,000 sponsored children and their families in 69 villages have benefited from several projects. And today, the socio-economic conditions of the area and the quality of life for children and their families have vastly improved.
When Plan begins working in communities like Chakwal, we’re never alone. We team up with local organizations, local governments and community members so that when we do leave, the improvements made have a lasting, sustainable outcome.
That’s how it all happened for Chakwal. Your sponsorship has impacted everyone – children, families and the entire community.
Change by numbers in Chakwal, Pakistan
Here’s a snapshot of some of the achievements made possible thanks to the tremendous support from child sponsors:
- 100,000 scholarships were provided to students at varying education levels.
- 10,000 children have graduated from early learning centres.
- 400 primary and secondary school teachers received quality training.
- 1,775 latrines were built at schools and in homes with support from the community.
- 184 water pumps were installed with support from the community.
- 80% of mothers and children in all villages benefited from promoting health and nutrition.
- 11,000 women and men benefited from income generating activities.
- 1,717 young people received entrepreneur development training.
- 1,600 families received vocational training.
Next up for Chakwal…
10,000 sponsored children and their families in Chakwal, Pakistan have benefited from the support of Plan donors like you.
Because of these incredible accomplishments, Plan will leave Chakwal knowing the community can sustain these positive changes for years to come. They’ve developed the tools and skills needed to become self-sufficient.
But this isn’t goodbye. It’s a new chapter for Chakwal – one filled with hope and lasting opportunity. We’re happy to have been part of their extraordinary journey, and of course, sharing this opportunity with child sponsors around the world.
Thank you for your continued support.