More than a pest: How mosquitoes can be deadly
Warmer weather is upon us and with it comes the inevitable and often dreaded influx of mosquitoes. In North America, mosquitoes are, luckily, rarely more than a nuisance. But in many parts of the world, these insects are the deadliest creature around.
The facts on malaria and mosquitoes:
- Mosquitoes can carry malaria – a deadly disease, though one that is entirely preventable and treatable
- A single bite from a malaria-infected mosquito can transmit the disease, making each bite potentially fatal
- Children under the age of 5 and pregnant women are the most at risk of dying from malaria
- Although over half (103) of all the countries in the world are affected by malaria, 16 countries account for 80% of malaria deaths – most of which occur in sub-Saharan Africa
- 50 children die from malaria every hour – that's nearly one child each minute
And yet, there’s a simple solution: Just one bed net can prevent the mosquito bites that spread malaria, helping save lives.
What you need to know on stopping this killer in its tracks:
- The 1,2,3 of bed nets: 1 net can protect 2 people for up to 3 years
- Bed nets are treated with insecticide and are an inexpensive and reliable method for preventing the spread of malaria
- Malaria was eradicated from Canada over 50 years ago*
- In 2000, the United Nations assembled to highlight malaria as one of the key diseases to be combatted through the Millennium Development Goals**
- Since 2000, increased prevention and control measures – like the use of long-lasting, insecticide-treated bed nets – have led to a 60% global reduction in malaria mortality rates
- Overcoming malaria globally is a goal within our grasp, if we work together
Here's how you can help save lives:
Our bed nets Gift of Hope not only distributes nets directly to the families that need them most, it also provides them with important information on malaria prevention and training on how to properly use the nets.
You can purchase a single bed net, or select a bundle of 5 or 12 nets for added value. Plus your donation will be matched 7x – helping save even more lives!
Since 2007 we’ve been Spreading the Net across the globe – delivering over 2.5 million malaria-preventing bed nets to families in Africa. Together, we’ve helped protect the lives of more than 7 million people in developing countries, where malaria infections threaten lives year round.