Investing in health
Your sponsorship of Plan International Canada’s Health project is invested in community-led health care initiatives aimed at improving the lives of children and families in developing communities around the world.
With your help, we’re working with local people to address their most pressing issues and invest in key development areas that are the building blocks of public health. These include:
- Clinics: Helping communities construct or rehabilitate health centres, purchase necessary equipment, medicines and supplies, ensuring sustainability by securing long-term funding from government, and equipping local communities to manage these public assets
- Frontline health workers: Training health care and community outreach workers to ensure that everyone gets access to basic health care, and that all children have a chance to participate in child nutrition and immunization programs
- Water and sanitation: Helping communities plan and construct water and sanitation systems to protect children’s health, and building sustainable solutions tailored to local needs so that homes, schools and clinics have access to clean drinking water and hygienic toilets
- Health outreach and education: Providing community members with better information on how to monitor and manage their health so they know the signs of the most common or urgent health issues, what to do about them, and when to get to a clinic for help
- Disease prevention and treatment: Operating special initiatives and programs on critical issues, like malaria, tuberculosis, and HIV
- Nutrition: Improving the nutritional status of mothers and young children through community gardens, agricultural programs, or school-based meal and monitoring programs.