There is an urgent need to stand up for the rights of millions of girls. In the poorest regions of the world, girls face double discrimination and unique barriers to survival and development, simply because they are young and female.
- Girls are 2x more likely to be malnourished than boys.
- Globally, 63 million girls do not attend primary or secondary school.
- Each year, 15 million girls under 18 will be married; that's 41,000 each day, and nearly 1 girl every 2 seconds.
Yet girls are key to breaking the cycle of poverty around the world. It's proven that:
- Girls with secondary schooling are up to 6x less likely to marry as children.
- When a girl receives 7 years of education, she will marry 4 years later and have 2.2 fewer, healthier children.
- For every extra year a girl stays in school, her income can increase by 10 to 20%.
Plan knows that when girls are educated, healthy and informed, they will pull themselves, their children and their communities out of poverty. That’s what the Because I am a Girl Project is all about.